Wednesday 23 August 2006

I haven't quite gone yet. I was going to sneak a look at an interesting paper I found in one of the journals today. It was all about the size of deep sea animals: why those organisms that are small in shallow waters tend to be bigger at the bottom of the ocean and vice versa. Of course, I've left it at work. Instead, I've brought home the notes from this morning's lecture on community ecology. What a winner.

I've also been scouring the research literature for studies on blogs. Yes, there's a body of literature on this topic. Surprisingly, much of the stuff I've found is neither incomprehensible nor pompous. Some of it is a bit nerdy. Most of it is self-conscious. But it's remarkably readable. More of that when I get the chance to synthesise it.

In the meantime, with first year essays and their idiosyncratic punctuation looming like a dust storm on the horizon, here's something from Terry Pratchett's Going Postal.

A. PARKER & SON'S
GREENGROCER'S
HIGH CLAS'S FRUIT AND VEGETABLE'S