Tuesday 29 August 2006

Zion

Utah is a strange place. Nothing makes you more desperate for a drink than travelling through towns where alcohol is in limited supply.

I arrived in Cedar City during the Shakespearean Festival. I didn't know that it was on, so you can imagine my confusion when I drove down a main street where everyone was dressed in doublet and hose or long dresses and tall pointy hats with veils. As far as I knew, this was how the good folks of Cedar City always spent their weekends. I didn't say anything about it. And no one mentioned it to me.

Why was I in Cedar City? I was heading north from the fabulous sedimentary geology of Arizona on my way to the wild volcanic geology of Idaho. Zion Canyon was on the way.

I love geology. I don't know much about it. As with Uluru, I'll let the pictures of Zion National Park do the talking.