Monday 4 December 2006

Apologies. I didn't blog yesterday because I didn't switch on the computer all day. 'Twas bliss.

Got up late again. Pottered around the garden. Listened to the cricket. Had coffee with a friend in Brunswick Street. Did some more stuff in the garden. Was amazed when a mouse decided to mosey around the house while I was watching telly. Bloody thing sauntered past me as if it owned the place. Remembered that I had to go to work on Monday. Thought about the crap waiting for me on the desk. Started to feel uncomfortable because this week is going to be very, very difficult. Went to sleep after 1 a.m. Woke up a couple of times. Went back to sleep. Woke up at 5 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. Have a meeting at 9.30 this morning. You can imagine how well I'm going to perform today.

On the other hand, a flock of galahs just flew past from west to east. Not sure where they're headed but they could be off to feed on the river bank. (Which reminds me, I must finish off my journey to the source of the Maribyrnong River. Not as dramatic as Burton and Speke's expedition to find the source of the Nile but there you have it.) The resident red wattlebird landed on the fence earlier and peered in at me. He's quite a magnificent individual with his gold belly and sealing-wax wattles. Unfortunately, he's been cleaning up all the larger spiders in the garden. He held one in his beak, the legs dangling down either side so he looked like Dr Fu Manchu.

I'd better get in to work. I'm not looking forward to this week.