Wednesday, 7 March 2007

I'm going to bed early tonight. I know that every time I say this, I end up staying up into the small hours but tonight will be different. I will definitely be asleep before 9.30 pm.*

Today was one of those WTF? days. You know, the sort of day when every phone call and knock on the door leads you to utter that question. But I saw an Australian hobby (Falco longipennis) while I was driving home. And—even better—the sewers are now clear. The drains are flowing like mountain streams. I'm almost tempted to invite passing strangers to use the toilet so I can share with them the joy of free-draining plumbing. Maybe the Aussie cricketer who tried to flush his pads and bat on returning to the dressing room after a pretty ordinary innings. (Michael Slater, perhaps? Sounds plausible.)
_____

* Or not, as it's almost that time now.

3 comments:

Trevor said...

So what have you got against Slats? Great cricketer hard done by IMHO. Great commentator now.

Still - great to hear that the essentials of life are flowing again in your part of the world. You could have said that it was your contribution to saving water - now you are tempted to use too much. Just a thought.

Snail said...

Was it Slats who did that? A couple of years ago I was listening to Skull and Aggers on ABC radio and they referred to this incident. The ABC cricket page had a sound clip of whoever-it-was telling thr story.

Apparently, he was so disgusted at his own performance and/or the umpire's decision that the only way he could get rid of the anger was to ditch the gear. Of course, he blocked the toilet. (Maybe I should have asked the plumber what was causing the blockage in our sewer.)

I'll see if I can find the sound clip. It was pretty funny.

Snail said...

It seems that all the Michaels were all at it at one stage.

Michael Slater's audio isn't available anymore but it was on this ABC page.

" Kit-flushing episode not a rumour: Former Australian opening batsman Michael Slater confirms that he did flush his kit down the toilet following a dismissal."

And Michael Bevan used to do it regularly.

"So, too, does the image of Bevan as a complex character prone in his early days to the occasional "Bev attack". "Although a mild-mannered man, his often violent temper was a room-clearer whenever he got out. He made a mess of many cricket coffins and on occasions would shove his bat and pads down the toilet, flush the button and walk away as he battled his inner demons," wrote former Victorian captain Darren Berry in The Sunday Age recently."