Thursday, 24 May 2007

I read Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic The Road over three days. It's not a long book and would have taken me less time, but I didn't want to finish it. I was afraid of how the story might end ... I didn't want something terrible to happen to the central characters — even though they were non-existent people in a non-existent world, nothing more than print on a page.

But story-telling is alchemy. Forget all that base metal to gold nonsense. (Can't you do that with some fancy physics, anyway?) When those black lines transform into people and places and actions in your mind ... Now that's a transmutation to make a fuss about.

6 comments:

Tracey said...

Mmm, that's an interesting way of recommending a book. I read it slowly because I didn't want to finish -- rather than the more usual I couldn't put it down. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for this one!

Duncan said...

Well there you go, and I thought I was a bit strange getting too involved with fictitious characters, I feel a lot better now ;-)

Sherryl said...

I'm in Tucson, about to hit the bookshops! But I went to the Sonora Desert Museum today and got some great photos, including some of birds that I'll share with you when I get back, if you're interested.

Snail said...

Tracey, it's one of the few novels I've read recently in which I've cared about the characters. I haven't quite got the words at the moment to critique it but when I can actually string sentences together again I'll have a go.

Snail said...

Duncan, I reckon if you can't give yourself over to the fictional (but momentarily real) world of a good book, there's no point reading!

Snail said...

Sherryl, I read that you were back in Tucson. Nice time of year for it. I'd love to see the pics from the Desert Museum. It's been on my list of museums to visit since it opened.