Saturday, 29 March 2008

Easter surprise!

I was working at home on Easter Tuesday, enjoying the peace and quiet, when a convoy of heavy vehicles rumbled into the street and stopped outside my house. Fortunately it was not a reenactment of the opening scene of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. They were here to replace the water main.

So I sat at the computer wearing ear protectors, while trucks beep-beep-beeped backwards along the road and pneumatic machinery ripped up the asphalt only a few metres from my front gate.

The workmen were wandering in and out of gardens because they had to fix up a temporary water supply for everyone in the street. (We're now supplied from the main in the next street via a Heath Robinson series of hoses.) When I heard a knock on the door and spotted a luminous yellow jacket through the leadlight panel, I guessed that one of them wanted me to move my car. But my visitor was a parcel courier. He was delivering a box of books that I'd ordered from Amazon. But the best thing was I'd forgotten the order, so it was a delightful surprise.

The books are
  • Richard Fortey, The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum
  • Neil Shubin, Your Inner Fish
  • Sean B Carroll, The Making of the Fittest
No idea when I'm going to get a chance to read them, but they're on the pile.

(BTW, I'm thinking of surrounding my vehicle with striped tape because that obviously deters car thieves.)

6 comments:

MolecularJJ said...

Excellent! More books to put on the 'borrow from snail' list.

Snail said...

When I uncover Endless Forms Most Beautiful I'll lend it to you. It's must be somewhere under the endless piles most disrgtaceful.

Lynsey said...

I love that quaint sculptural er, thang, front and centre. Ben, Ben, over here... we got us a live one!

That *is* a spirit house, yes?

Or perhaps a fsitskac (the verifying word for this comment, and also, I believe, the word to describe something soft, oozing, and possibly animal in origin; frequently encountered on the way to get one's mail).
Usage: 'Crap! I just stepped in fsitskac!'

Snail said...

It's appalling, isn't it? It was there when I moved in and I haven't got round to replacing it. Apart from being perfect for your new venture in holiday accommodation (please, help yourself!), it is also absolutely frakkin' useless. The base is embedded in a lump of concrete the size of a walnut so an enthusiastic shove from the postie leaves it leaning at a drunken angle. The lid comes off at the slightest touch. Oh, and the huntsman spiders just lurve it. I've often picked up more than the mail when I visit the letter box.

Anonymous said...

Ahh the Vogons and their machines of construction. At least you didn't have to listen to any of their poetry. Lucky otr what!

Snail said...

I'll say!

And now they've gone. Well, they'rve rolled up all the hoses and loaded up the pipes. Their portacabin is still in the street. But one thing at a time, eh?