Wednesday, 19 March 2008

A party of pardalotes

Striated pardalotes (Pardalotus striatus) are abundant in open woodland and parks just about everywhere in Australia. These lively little birds feed on insects (especially lerps) among the foliage of eucalypts, so are sometimes difficult to spot and even more difficult to photograph. I saw this small group at the Points Arboretum in Coleraine, where they had not only given up skulking in the leaves for the morning but also seemed to be posing for the camera.





6 comments:

budak said...

i see you are putting the lens to good use!

Snail said...

I'm getting the hang of it! Learning is half the fun.

zeladoniac said...

Nice pics! I especially love the last one where it's looking back at 'ya.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

What's a lerp?

Anonymous said...

I have NEVER seen them so "in your face" as these ... or is it the same one photographed many times?

jj

Snail said...

Zeladoniac, I'd love to say I planned that one but it was the luck of the click! I suspect that some birds might have a sense of fun.

Aydin, lerps are the nymphal stages of psyllid bugs. They're covered by cases made from honeydew that comes out of the nymphs' rear ends while feeding. Yummo!

JJ, I think there are at least three individuals. There's the top one with the dark mark at the base of his beak, a second one with the streaks but no mark and the third with no streaks. Or I could be imagining that. It certainly seemed like a plethora of pardalotes!