Sunday, 27 April 2008

Cairns

The final day of the big drive took me from Townsville to Cairns. This was the shortest leg of the journey and I got into Cairns just after 4pm.

I was worried that being in a conference from dawn until dusk might reduce my opportunities to blog about nature stuff. But that was before I arrived at my hotel. This is the view from my balcony.


Not bad, eh?

So I whipped out my binoculars and scanned the mud flats. And then I whipped out the camera. The tide was receding, so the birds were a long way out. Still, I saw three black-necked storks or jabirus ( Ephippiorhynchus asiaticus), a brahminy kite (Haliastur indus), a white-bellied sea eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster) and sundry egrets, many of which are currently snoozing quietly in a rookery under my window. I hope I get up before them so I can get some decent photos.







7 comments:

Dave Coulter said...

Very cool. Or, maybe I should say very warm? Now that you're further north are the temps going up??

Snail said...

You bet! Forecast meximum of 30C today. If I could find a handy map, I'd work out how far Cairns is into the tropics. I think it's about 700 km N of the Tropic of Capricorn. (Someone will correct me!)

Duncan said...

Thoroughly enjoying your trip Snail, thanks for taking us along.

sarala said...

Lucky you. I need a conference or two like this.

Anonymous said...

aren't you going to go ON the flat?
-budak

Naturegirl said...

Gorgeous view from your lodging!!
Mountains and ocean..how nice is that!! Enjoy your time there!

Snail said...

Spent all day at the conference and am now heading out to have dinner with the organisers. Did get a chance to take some photos of the jabirus this morning, so I'll post them when I get back from the restaurant.

As I type this, scores of great egrets are soaring past the balcony. The colony pongs a bit but there are excellent views of the birds!

Budak, that mud is lethal. I remember a case a while back when someone tried to escape the police by walking out onto it. They didn't get very far!