Monday 16 June 2008

Non sequitur

Sorry. Been busy. Still am.

Endless* meetings and a stack of deadlines**.

Tomorrow I'm off to Lerderderg Gorge for the day. I'm going with my botanist friend, so it'll be a plant-focused trip. I'm fitting the 60 mm macro lens on the camera but that's it. No long lens, no wide angle. We'll see how it goes.

Now, in a spectacular non sequitur ... here's a song that's been running through my head all day. I don't know why. It just has. It's been slipping in between the thoughts of which foreign accent I should adopt for next semester and what fiendish deeds I should plan in my role as event manager for the Illuminati. If this doesn't convince people I'm going crazy, I don't know what will.

It's the full length video for Arcadia's Election Day. That's right — almost nine minutes of big hair and shiny fabric. You'll be pleased to know that William S. Burroughs, who makes a cameo appearance early on, is wearing neither. Nick Rhodes, on the other hand ... ***

Roger Christian directed it. He is also responsible for Battlefield Earth.




________

* Well, not literally.

** Which I've ignored until it's almost too late. You know the drill.

*** About the same time that this was filmed, I lived in a house with an Aubrey Beardsley print on the wall. It was The Dancer's Reward from Oscar Wilde's Salomé. A plumber who'd come to fix the kitchen asked about the image. We explained what it was. After a moment's thought he said, 'So why has he made John the Baptist look like a sheila?' It was a very good question and one we couldn't answer readily.