Tuesday, 16 September 2008

Nerite Island

A new paper out in Zoological Studies surveys the nerites of Singapore and comes up with a heap more species than previously suspected. The work adds six names to the nation's nerite list, bringing the total to 19. The newly recorded species are Nerita costata, Nerita plicata, Neritina auriculata, Neritina coromandeliana, Neritina siquijorensis and Neritina sulculosa. All species are illustrated with black and white photos.

Reference
Tan, S.K. & Clements, R. (2008) Taxonomy and distribution of the Neritidae (Mollusca: Gastropoda) on Singapore. Zoological Studies 47(4): 481 – 494.

4 comments:

Mosura said...

Just the one Nerite down here unfortunately.

While I'm here, as a snail, do you know where I can access a freely available photo of Austrocochlea brevis Parsons & Ward,1994 ? I'd like to know how it differs from A. constricta

Snail said...

That's a Tassie endemic, isn't it? I should be able to get hold of the original paper. Drop me an email to the address at the top right, if you'd like me to track it down.

Snail said...

I forgot to mention that even the one nerite isn't as straightforward as it should be. It seems that there's something unusual going on with that.

Mosura said...

Thanks (email sent)

Re the Nerites, I new about the tan and black operculums but was not aware they were considered a different species. Locally they are all tan but I will have to keep an out out when I'm out west.