Monday, 15 September 2008

A study of my study


More accurately, a study of my desk in my study. This is where I sit when I'm writing these posts, watching jumping spiders on the fence palings, failing to take photos of wattlebirds and losing to the computer at chess.

This is how it looked a few minutes ago. The desk is covered in books on molluscs, some bivalve shells for identification, a leaf from a kurrajong (Brachychiton), a map-reading lens, ear-protectors, a planisphere, a Lenovo laptop computer, 'Stories from Mesa Country' by Jane Candia Coleman (which I haven't read yet, so I can't offer an opinion), sundry CDs, tea in a mug marked 'tea', an ancient radio and inkjet printer under faded square of batik cap bought somewhere in western Java.

It's a tidy day.


It's now a lot messier. I just wanted to make it a matter of public record that occasionally it's neat enough to see the woodgrain on the top. I like to think of it as a experiment in the colonisation of bare surfaces.

9 comments:

budak said...

what's the ear protectors for??

Snail said...

I can't cope with other people's noise. (A problem in the city!) Most of the time this street is very, very quiet ... but not always.

The people in the house behind sometimes use power tools for prolonged periods on the weekend, so the protectors help with that.

But what really drives me around the twist is the kids at the end of the street (7 houses away!) who turn up their music to 11 on occasions. Putting on the ear protectors is a more sensible solution than the alternative, which might possibly involve a bulldozer through their front wall or poison darts or something.

Duncan said...

Gee, I like the nets....

Snail said...

They make me look like a real naturalist!

Mosura said...

Hmmm... I wouldn't like to show my desk at the moment. You need training as an archaeologist to be able to find things in the various layers as well as understand the context. Mind you I know where everything is. Anyway there's no nice wood on mine - just white formica. I know that as there's still a tiny bit showing between the keyboard and the edge of the desk.

AYDIN ÖRSTAN said...

You do everything on one desk? I have 5 desks & each one of them is messier than your one desk.

Snail said...

Mosura and Aydin, you'll note that I haven't shown the rest of the room ...

Anonymous said...

You know you're bored when...

1. ...you start taking photos of your desk.
2. ...you blog it.

If I could find the camera under my mess I'd probably do the same.

Snail said...

:)

I should take a pic of my work office desk. Now that's a mess.