Thursday, 26 March 2009

I iz bak

Signed the contract of sale on my home this morning. I can't help thinking I should feel elated but I'm just exhausted. There's a 10 week settlement, during which time will either pass like a glacier or a pyroclastic flow. Still, there's plenty to do between now and then, so it's not as if I'm going to be sitting at home twiddling my thumbs.

The book goes to the printer tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting an advance copy, so I can see the elements assembled into a real volume. That should be out in June, so expect details closer to the release date. Because the publisher's blurb refers to me as an 'inveterate blogger', I'd better live up to that description. (At least, I think that's what it says. Maybe it's 'invertebrate blogger'. I should check.)

I'll probably head up to North Queensland for a couple of weeks after Easter. Cyclone Ellie thwarted plans to visit earlier in the year. Apart from sussing out the real estate market, I'd like to sort out some potential study sites. I put a shedload of research on hold when I moved from Townsville to Melbourne, so it's time to get back into it. The Chillagoe project is well underway but there's plenty more to do. I'm looking forward to it.

More soon …

9 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Having put up with what you have (at work and in the neighbourhood, and then the sale) I am sure you pass a s having vertebrae.
Best of luck.
Keep up the blogging as you move around.
Cheers
Denis

Dave Coulter said...

Welcome back. Put your feet up!

NanaJude said...

So where should I send those big black slugs?

Tyto Tony said...

See you at Tyto?
Huge 20-30year population growth forecasts for Cairns and Townsville pushing real estate ever higher (recession, depression whatever). Innisfail stagnating. Proceed with care! Good luck.

Snail said...

Well, the cooling off period doesn't end until c.o.b. on Monday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jude, I'll still be here for a bit longer. Do you have any big black slugs?

Tony, yes, you will see me at Tyto.

I'll definitely be giving Townsville and Cairns a miss when I'm looking for somewhere to live! I'm thinking about places with a higher elevation.

Sherryl said...

Higher elevation... Mt Everest?
Yes, you will have to keep the blog up. How will we know what you're up to otherwise?

Anonymous said...

Saw this and thought of you - best misheard lyrics of all time.

http://www.elwp.com/Joe%20Cocker.html

Happy trails to you

d

NanaJude said...

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/hindsight/stories/2009/2523179.htmsu

Snail said...

Not quite that high, Sherryl! But enough to have frquent cloud cover.

D, that's hilarious. Deserving of it's own post. I hope you and your family are well.

jj, I had a look at my old haunts in London on Google Street View. They've knocked down all the high-rises in my part of the East End and are replacing them with ... something ... Not sure what. Probably accommodation for the Olympics. Makes me wonder where the people in the high rises are now housed.