Monday, 28 June 2010

Even more snails!

[Strangled connection again. Must be more frugal with my downloads.]

I was planning to investigate the wait-a-while for snails, but decided not to disturb the pademelon posse that had settled down next to it. (Plant to right, just out of picture.)


Really, who could be heartless enough to shift this little poppet?


But I didn't have to move the marsupials, because the snails came to me. This one was grazing on the lid of the recycling bin.



Another, almost certainly the same species, was moseying around the garden.


As was this one, which, at about 30mm long, was the largest of the three.


Semislugs (family Helicarionidae) are common in rainforest and wet sclerophyll forest along the east coast. They come in a variety of sizes and shell shapes, but always have that little pointed tail tip. In many species, extensions (lappets or lobes) of the mantle cover the shell. You can see them partly retracted to reveal the shell in the recycling bin snail.

[I'll talk about these animals in detail when my satellite connection goes back to normal in a few days.]

11 comments:

mick said...

The pademelons are definitely cuter than the snails :-) btw do you think that the NBN will actually make a difference in broadband for places apart from the cities? Even here the connections are woeful!

neomyrtus said...

Put my vote in for cute snails. I like the warty textured lappets.

Snail said...

Mick, I hope we'll get an alternative to satellite. The sat connection is working well at the moment, but the problem is cost. It's a shedload more than cable or ADSL.

Snail said...

Neo, okay we've got one vote for cute paddies and one for cute snails. What to do? I know, more of both!

This species has the wartiest of lappets. The occasional Parmacochlea that turns up in the garden is much less sculptured.

Susannah (Wanderin' Weeta) said...

You always have the coolest critters! And I love their names; "pademelon", "semislugs", "tree kangaroos", "coppery brushtails" ...

Susannah (Wanderin' Weeta) said...

I forgot: I vote for more of those cute snails.

Snail said...

Susannah, the animal names make up for our complete lack of imagination in naming places --- often after people (Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne etc) or a very dull feature (Sandy Creek). I have no comment to make about Mount Buggery.

Susannah (Wanderin' Weeta) said...

Does anyone actually dare to live there?
:D

Snail said...

If they did, they'd be hardy souls, indeed! I'm not sure exactly why it has that name, but its location --- in the Victorian Alps --- might contribute. Here's a link to the location on Google Maps.

biobabbler said...

That last shot is A-MA-zing. Such GREAT colors and fabulous composition! =)

I may have a brief post coming up soon using a friend's brother's amazing shot of GORgous eggs on emergent veg in a pond which he found out are snail eggs! Made me think of you. =)

Snail said...

Biobabbler, there's a lot to be said for leaving the recycling bin out in the rain. The snails love the patina of mould that grows on its lid. They scribble their way all over it.

The satellite dish is getting that way too. I may have to give it a scrub!