Friday, 16 July 2010

The view from my window

Despite being so close to the house, the Melicope bonwickii in the front garden is important to the local fauna. It is the site of turf wars between the Victoria's riflebirds and the spotted catbirds. Lewin's honeyeaters guard it against incursions from Eastern spinebills. During the day, brush turkeys perch in the lower branches to watch the world go by. At night, coppery brushtails take their place.

Prime real estate?

Having not spotted any (live) tree kangaroos for a couple of months, I was both delighted and surprised to see this from the living room window.

Under the misapprehension that there was something interesting in the Melicope, this tree kangaroo hopped over from the forest and scrambled up the trunk. It realised the mistake very quickly. Then it discovered that down wasn't as easy as up.

After negotiating its way through the tangle of climbing pandan (Freycinetia), it hurtled off into the scrub. It's good to know the neighbours' dogs haven't killed all of them.




10 comments:

Bernie said...

How marvellous ... what a fantastic sight! I've never seen then these close-up before ... what a treat that would be!

Snail said...

I've seen a few around the place --- sometimes as many as three in a tree --- but this is the first time one of them has wandered so close. I was pleased!

biobabbler said...

Oh, MAN, I wanna fly down and check it out! 1st the list of all these bird species I've NEVER SEEN (of course), and then that adorable fuzziness. =) Thanks for sharing that lovely scene.

Snail said...

Until you do, I'll keep the pics coming!

mick said...

Thanks for some more very cute photos! Plus I like the view from your window.

Snail said...

It's not a bad view, Mick. Even that satellite dish has its place. (I must clean it. The snails aren't doing their job very well.)

Russell Constable said...

That is awesome Bronwen...my skin is turning green here and I feel a bad case of envy coming on!

Snail said...

I was quite delighted! The tree roo made some sneezy noises, which I took to be an expression of displeasure, so I didn't go outside. Took all the pics from the living room.

forestwalk/laura k said...

love your pictures! and love seeing all the little...and not so little critters in another land!! :)

thanks!! i'll be back!! :)

Snail said...

You're welcome, Laura! There's plenty here to share.