Sunday 22 January 2012

Jottings from the Tropics: 22 Jan 2012


Only a short post today, because I must focus on some projects that are close to completion. Is that light ahead: a) the end of the tunnel; b) an oncoming train; or c) an optical phenomenon caused by decreased oxygen supply to the retina? I suppose I will find out soon enough.

In order to move things along, I am working on two computers. Only one is connected to the internet. Time spent at the other computer is the most productive. No, I can’t explain it either. I guess it is something to do with ley lines and the Earth’s magnetic field.

- o O o -

Little Poss must have been at the red cordial last night. He clambered up and down the flyscreen for hours, pausing occasionally to peer at me and resuming when I did not pay attention. He eventually gave up and ran up and down the roof instead. When I went out into the garden that evening, I saw that he had peed on the step. Possums, as I have mentioned before, are half fur and half bladder, so I had to get out the hose. I suppose he was marking his territory. Or making a point.

Tonight, I am going to make a point by taking away the broom. Let’s see how he manages to get down from the window sill without his ‘ladder’.

- o O o -

The cattle across the river are making a racket. It sounds as though the farmer’s given up on the Holsteins and replaced them with a herd of mid-sized dinosaurs. That will be a talking point at the dairy factory tomorrow.

- o O o -

The big quandong is covered in so many white flowers that it looks like a wedding cake. No wonder the lorikeets and honeyeaters don’t feel the need to visit the smaller tree next to the house. But that’s okay, because the blossoms are beautiful enough on their own. Brightly-coloured birds would just be icing on the...er...would be too much.