Wednesday 22 February 2012

Jottings from the Tropics: 22 February 2012


After a long break, the brush turkeys have returned to perching on the roof. Once again, afternoons of bird song and distant lowing from the dairy herd across the river are disrupted by the clatter of large and not very effective wings, followed by thuds from above and the tapping of claws on tin. If you wish to leave the house, it is important to locate the roof-patrolling turkeys and then exit by the door on the opposite side. This avoids being showered in leaves and small twigs when the bird takes off in surprise. Also, turkey poop, which is glutinous and copious and freely supplied. Leaving by the wrong door is a mistake you only make once.

The turkeys have also taken to sunbathing on the drive, presumably as an act of civil disobedience in protest against the lack of garden care. It is as if they are trying to tell me that there are no other spots available because the ground is entirely covered in grass and seedlings. Well, I don't know. Everyone else complains about their ground-raking turkeys laying waste to metres of yard. I wish the birds would do that at my place. Lazy bloody wildlife.

- o O o -

Having been assured by someone at the council that the road crew would be spreading asphalt on the bridge today, I had a look at the construction site. The crew has, indeed, spread asphalt on the bridge and adjoining road. It looks like one long, glistening, black tarry carpet. We must be mere hours away from the bridge being re-opened, if only one lane for the moment. I will have to make an unscheduled run into town to try it out. Perhaps I'll leave it a day to avoid disappointment.

- o O o -

I am going to take a few days off because I am exhausted. I don't know why. It's not as if I am running marathons or pushing around a wheelbarrow full of bricks. There's no real reason for it, but I just am. So I'm going to do nothing much for the rest of this week and over the weekend to see if that helps. I'll be back on Monday, come hell or high water. Hopefully not high water because this place is at almost 800 m altitude and most of you would be in real trouble if that happened. Apologies for that. I'll see you soon.