Tuesday, 20 August 2013

The many moods of the Spangled Drongo

The warm, dry weather has brought a new suite of birds to the garden. A Torresian crow continues to raid the macadmia tree and the abundance of fruit has turned pied currawongs, those notorious egg and nestling thieves, into temporary vegetarians.

And there are drongos. I love these birds. I love their strange songs, their glossy black plumage set about with sequins at the nape, their fancy tails and their aerobatics. Also their personalities.

Deep in thought...


Noble...


Annoyed...



And pure drongo...


6 comments:

mick said...

Great series. I have drongos here but have never caught attitudes like that! Fantastic!

Snail said...

:) I was trying to do a portrait of the bird looking magnificent --- you know the way they do with that lustrous sheen and the mermaid tail --- but all I got was stubbies and thongs.

Sherrie York said...

Great photos, of course, but PUHlease... the title alone makes this a print-out-and-pin-to-the-wall sort of post.

Snail said...

:D I'm not sure if it's a title for a celebrity photoshoot or a perfume advert.

Sherrie York said...

I dunno. I just keep thinking of an Elvis impersonator in some questionable Vegas bar.

Snail said...

Ahahahaha! That's it. That's it!