Saturday 24 February 2007

My Melbourne

Inspired by Sarala at Blogaway, who shares her impressions of Chicago with her readers, I thought I'd show you a bit more of western Melbourne. I've blogged a little on the West Gate Bridge and the Maribyrnong River. Here's a place in Yarraville that I drive past almost every day but know next to nothing about.

Coffee palaces were established by the Temperance League to provide alternative meeting places to those dens of iniquity, the hotels. Many coffee palaces were rather grand buildings, designed during the economic boom of the late 1800s. This more modest venue dates from the beginning of World War I.

It appears to be a private residence now. But the good folk of Yarraville don't have to go without coffee. Although the area hasn't quite reached the density of cafes enjoyed by Carlton and Fitzroy, it is approaching them. And did I mention the bakeries?