Sunday, 18 March 2007

Say "cheese", crater

Mount Ruapehu on New Zealand's North Island belched today and sent a mud flow (lahar) out of the crater lake and down the Whangaehu River. Fortunately, no one was injured. Mount Ruapehu's activity has not always been so mild.

New Zealand's Geonet Data Centre has a web cam trained on the volcano, with shots posted every hour. Horizons Regional Council has a web cam too, but that one is pointed at the river—where the action happens.

If, like me, you've got a soft spot for volcanoes, check out the United States Geological Survey's web cam on Kilauea's Pu'u O'o vent. Kilauea, on Hawaii, is one of the world's most active volcanoes. The web cam updates at 5 minute intervals. More leisurely is the Mauna Loa web cam, which refreshes every 10 minutes. But Mauna Loa isn't quite as lively as its coastal cousin.

I've got a couple of boxes of slides from a trip there in April 1996. Don't know where they are but if I find them, I'll scan a few and post them.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Volcanoes, eh? Funny story (well, maybe): After the ranger at the entrance had given me all the maps and brochures last summer when visiting Mt. Rainier, he asked if I had any questions. I then said, "Yes, has there been any unusual seismic activity lately?" He told me that was the best one he had ever heard, he said he usually was asked if he knew Smokey the Bear . . .

Snail said...

It's a bit sad that you probably made his day by asking a sensible question. I wonder how he handled the Smokey the Bear one?

On a not entirely unrelated thread ... One of my previous institutions hosted a visitor who was a ranger at Yosemite.

Whereas she knew lots about Australian flora and fauna, we only knew about Yosemite Sam. And once you think damn! I shouldn't have said that, that's where the conversation gets marooned ...

sarala said...

We definitely are volcano-addicts over here. My older son used to read everything there was on volcanoes. So we took him to Kilauea when he was 5 which made his year. He used to know all the Hawaiian names for lava.
I posted a land snail for you on my site. You'll probably have it identified before I do.

Lynsey said...

The lahar has been quite a source of enthusiasm here - I think we're only a couple of notches off making it into an annual festival something akin to the running of the bulls. I spent making happy hours as a kid on the banks of the silvery Whangaehu building and testing bombs made out of the contents of shotgun cartridges... ah, carefree childhood days.

While the Ruapehu web cam is cool, the web cam at White Island is rather more interesting. Have a closer look at the pictures...

Snail said...

Oh, I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I looked at that. The keyboard would have shorted out.

That's wonderful! Is it the work of one of those wags at the Data Centre?