Sunday, 18 March 2007

As usual, I printed off a whole stack on the latest articles on the topic du jour (endosymbiosis*) and haven't had a chance to read them this weekend. In fact, I don't seem to have achieved anything since Friday**. Possibly not since the Friday before. (I don't suppose cooking a very fine okra curry counts.)

And, as usual, I'm finishing off some paperwork for tomorrow. Haven't written anything for a while. I once watched an interview with Christopher Koch (Year of Living Dangerously, The Doubleman and others) in which he stated that it's impossible to write and work full time. After resisting the idea for years, I'm beginning to think he might be right.
_____

* We've got some students working on this at the moment. There was a battle for their hearts and minds between the endosymbiosis faction and the saving babies faction. In the end, the split was pretty much even, with a maverick breaking away to study yeast.

** While I failed to do things in Melbourne, elsewhere in the city people were racing fast cars and having swimming contests. There might have been some footy too. And cycling in Geelong. It's just me.

11 comments:

Lucky-1 said...

I want to thank you for looking at my slug helix:D I have been visiting your blog for a while now and really enjoy your clear photos and writing.

It was the biggest slug I had ever seen. Thanks for letting me know it was an introduced slug and not a native.:)

Snail said...

I think that's what it is, Lucky. Your slug's a bit darker than mine but they are pretty variable.

jj said...

Off to read up on endosymbiosis.
Good to see you back and yes, that writer is right, I think.

Snail said...

I should put together a short intro to endosymbiosis. 'Tis fascinating stuff.

budak said...

sure you can write and work! just have to give up useless trivial pasttimes like sleep....

Anonymous said...

Your blog tops results for the keyword 'TABANIDAE' ... at blogsearch.sg informative post

Snail said...

I can see a flaw in your plan, Budak ...

Snail said...

Was that the post about the drone fly? Cool!

Sherryl said...

I've learned that the key to writing and working is to only work part-time, and then to be able to switch off at the end of the day. While I was in the "boss"'s chair at work for a while, my writing was not good, and not much of it.
Now I am just teaching and avoiding most of the admin trivia that used to rot my brain, I'm doing better. But I still dream of a bestseller that lets me stop work. Lotto is more likely, I think!

jj said...

Well, you know where there is one isolated place that is yours whenever you can get to it. Peace and quiet guaranteed, and a computer ... but no internet.
;p

Payment?
To be allowed to read something you are pleased with, one day.

Snail said...

I ain't going to be working part-time any time soon. I'm doing nothing but admin at the moment. Now we've got a massive deficit (and I mean massive) that we've got to clear soon or there'll be ... well ... forced departures at the very least. It's going to get ugly.

Ah, jj, I'd love to take up the offer but the shit would still be here when I returned ...