Tuesday, 1 May 2007

Quiet weekend here in the Snail Shell. I didn't go out adventuring because I didn't want to get caught in the torrential downpours. (My mistake.) Instead, I stayed home and shifted piles of paper from one part of the house to the other. I also started reading William Goldman's Which lie did I tell? (the follow up to Adventures in the screen trade), Cormac McCarthy's The road (which I'd bought ages ago) and T.H. White's The sword in the stone (because I haven't read it since primary school and that was ... a while ago).

Not much to report otherwise. Yet another committee meeting on Monday — this one lasted three and a half effin' hours. It didn't have to continue for anywhere near that long but a couple of people were so enchanted with the siren song of their own voices that they went on and on and on. Luckily, I was facing the windows, which overlook an area of open land that's very popular with raptors. At one point, a black-shouldered kite came winging across and settled in a tree. I had my binoculars with me, so I was itching for a break so I could get them out. But the speakers went on and on and on. Of course, by the time we got a break, the kite had gone. But I spent a quiet ten minutes watching the red wattlebirds doing aerobatics around the crowns of the sugar gums, while the other members of the committee made comments about my 'obsession'.

My collecting permit turned up today, so this Friday we'll be off to Corio Bay to look for bivalves. The tides aren't particularly good — the lowest is only down to 0.18 — but it'll be nice to paddle about in the sea. I may have a different view on Friday afternoon, when I'm up to my knees in anoxic mud and being pelted by a rain-laden southerly, but right now, I'm looking forward to it. There'll be a full report on Friday.

7 comments:

pestie said...

You could have always ignored the speaker....not that you were paying much attention anyway...and slapped the binoculars to your face while sitting at the meeting table. If nothing else, it may have been a not so subtle indication that the meeting had dragged on too long :)

Sherrie said...

I've a friend who works for a meeting-obsessed government agency, and he claims that if a meeting runs longer than 45 minutes people are either lying or repeating themselves. When he's had enough he just stands up. Somehow he gets away with it.

Happy pottering about in the sea... sounds heavenly.

Tracey said...

Three things:

(i) You started three books at once?

(ii) "...but a couiple of people were so enchanted with the siren song of their own voices..." I love it! Sop poetic. So economical. Says so much. (Ooh, now I'm workshopping your blog. Must stop. Slaps own wrist.)

(iii) Have fun in the mud. I'm looking forward to the full report -- and the photos!

Snail said...

I did try to register my dismay by putting my head down on the table but nobody paid any attention.

I'd like to walk out but I'm afraid I'll miss something important. Not that it's likely. Decisions made at this level get ignored at the next. You wonder why we have any policies and protocols when they're reshaped to order. Might as well be made out of modelling clay.

Probably won't be going out tomorrow. Not only does the weather looks awful, but we've got to do a lot of work to undo the damage wrought by the senior reshapers.

Snail said...

For a while I couldn't read, Tracey. Don't know why. I just wasn't interested. It's a horrible feeling.

I suppose I'm reading three books to make up for lost time. I've swapped Sword in the Stone for a very silly and even easier-to-read novel by Mark Gatiss, one of the warped minds behind The League of Gentlemen. You can't half tell.

Peter said...

One of the blessings of my job is that I virtually never have to attend meetings. One of my high points was the time I walked out of a condescending training session, turning my back on my newspaper's second-in-command, and his worshipping underling (my boss's boss).
========================

Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Snail said...

Good on ya, Peter!

I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to go to another fnerkin' committee meeting.