Tuesday 31 July 2007

Back out of the shell

I've been out of mobile phone range for the past few days (first in the rainforest, then in the limestone), so I haven't been able to upload anything to the blog. Boo! But it also means that I haven't been able to check my work e-mail. Hooray!

We spent three days at Tarzali (between Millaa Millaa and Malanda) on the Atherton Tablelands, where much of the fauna came to us.(including a juvenile cassowary but not snails.) We walked around just about every crater lake on the southern Tablelands, spotting birds of all types, the occasional mammal and many tourists. (Well, strictly speaking, the tourists are also mammals but I didn't want to inflate the species list.)

After three days of cool and wet rainforest, we went to Chillagoe, which was hot and dry. Many more birds, including bustards and red-tailed black cockatoos, and wallaroos and agile wallabies.

I'll post the photos over the next few days.