Saturday, 7 July 2007

The gardening gets serious

It's rained every weekend since the front garden was cleared. But that hasn't stopped me planning it. I'm going to divide it into sections and plant them one at a time. Adopting suggestions from Lynsey and Chuckie, I'm aiming for all-year-round colour with native species and a rocky serpentine motif.

I'm going to work on this section first. I was thinking of a combination of purple and yellow: Alyogyne huegelii 'West Coast Gem' and Xerochrysum (formerly Bracteantha) 'Dargon Hill Monarch'. The Alyogyne blooms from October to March and the daisy holds its flowers forever. Maybe I'll put in a low-growing white-flowered Grevillea to make the birds and insects even happier.

Now for the motif. Lynsey suggested a Rainbow Serpent winding its way through the garden, with clusters of flowers nestling in the curves. As the whole area is on the edge of the volcanic plain, I'll use basalt rocks to form the serpent. Maybe add a few quartz pebbles to give it more colour.

The tail will curl around the base of a bird bath. Something low-key — a terracotta bowl on a tree stump, perhaps. What do you think?

I'll be off to buy the first lot of plants this week ...

8 comments:

Duncan said...

Make sure you grow a decent shrub next to the bird bath for cover for the birds. They like to drop down to water from cover and then return to preen in safety. A nice callistemon would be ideal.

Snail said...

Maybe a white-flowering callistemon then instead of the grevillea? With thorough pruning, it'll stay under control and provide good cover. And flowers. Lots of flowers, which means I may finally get a photo of the white-plumed honeyeaters.

lynsey said...

I'm loving this. Purple and yellow. Blinding in bright sunlight - just how it should be. Although I love Miss Jekyll's white on white on white herbaceous borders, for the past few years my garden colour schemes have been based on 'slut'. Flowers are like that. So, I strongly recommend combining colours from the opposite sides of the colour wheel - such as you're going for. Vulgar? Yes. Trashy? Yes. Blinding in bright sunlight? Ja darling, ja! :D

AYDIN Ă–RSTAN said...

What are you going to do about that white van parked on top of your fence?

Anonymous said...

How about Correa pulchella 'dwarf form'? Brilliant orange flowers from autumn to spring and only 50cm tall. Maybe even Callistemon 'Rocky Rambler' - 50cm tall or 'Little John' just over 1 m. They are red but there are dwarf white ones as well. Some pics at

grevilleas.com.au/speciesc.html

or maybe even Callistemon 'Demesne Bronwyn'? a bit bigger but able to be shaped!

http://asgap.org.au/callistn.html

have fun!!!

Chuckie

Snail said...

Aydin, I might leave it there. I thought it was quite decorative!

Chuckie, a Callistemon citrina cultivar would be good in that spot. I could put in some red callistemons and/or grevilleas under the green-framed window. And that orange correa would look stunning with some blue lechenaultias.

Now that should be sufficiently vibrant for the whole street!

lynsey said...

'Nearly vibrant' is when little old ladies look over the fence and cross themselves.

'Sufficiently vibrant' is when little old ladies cross from the road from your side, three houses back, look over the road at your garden and cross themselves.

Snail said...

The little old lady who lives diagonally opposite is 84 years old. I'll use her as my yardstick for flower vibrancy.

Mind you, she still goes to the footy on the weekend, so she might be a bit of a tough cookie.