Monday 23 July 2007

You can park but only if you drive a Morris.

I'd forgotten that not only is Queensland the 'Sunshine State' and the 'Smart State', it is also the 'State of Insanely Suicidal Overtaking'. Double white lines? Blind corner? Crest? All three? No problem. But if you try to overtake a slow-moving vehicle in a designated overtaking lane, you're in trouble. What was travelling at 70km/hr in a 100km/hr zone will speed up to 120, just to prevent you getting past.

Otherwise the traffic has been an endless source of entertainment. I got stuck behind a couple of vintage vehicles between Biloela and Rockhampton. One was a 1930 Ford (the information was on a plate on the back) but I don't know about the other one. I can't imagine how uncomfortable those narrow tyres must have made the ride.

Oversized vehicles also frequented that same stretch of road. The first one of the day was heralded by a lead car with flashing ambers and headlights. That was followed by a police car with its lights on. So we all dutifully pulled over to let ... a semi go past carrying a bulldozer. Call that oversized? Pffft! I thought. Men and their estimates.

Not long after the same thing happened. Lead car. Police car. Flashing lights all over the place. Once again, we all pulled over. There was I, expecting a lawn mower and a couple of bales of hay, but this really was oversized. Some huge steel frame that overhung the tray by about five metres either side. I think it would have passed over my car but I'd have enjoyed seeing a caravan having its roof peeled off like the lid of a sardine can.

Today I swore for the first time. Those of you who know me may doubt this but you'll just have to take my word for it. Sure, the caravans have been annoying. (Today I encountered a caravan of caravans, which was a bit exciting for a while.) But I hadn't actually sworn at anybody until I got to Mackay. And in Mackay, a dump truck driver received a description of his failings. In detail. With gestures just in case he missed the point. He didn't.

Tomorrow to Cairns. Almost there.