Sunday, 9 December 2007

Not long until Christmas*

Christmas isn't a big deal in the Snail Shell but I do enjoy other people's outdoor decorations. I don't mean the odd string of fairy lights along the guttering or a small tree in the window. I'm talking complex tableaux that incorporate every yuletide theme up to and including the Dr Who Christmas special. (Okay. I haven't yet seen a tinsel-bedecked TARDIS on someone's lawn but I feel it's only a matter of time.)

The most entertaining displays I've ever seen were up in North Queensland where one house owner would construct two-storey scenes in fairy lights. The themes were not Christmassy — they usually depicted a major event from that year. His illuminated interpretations of the Olympic Games and the Bicentennial celebrations were loved by all. The Gulf War … not so much.

Here's a corner of the first display. I couldn't get a photo of the whole garden because someone had parked a car right in front of the house. I must go back to find out what's under the blue wrap. Any guesses?


_____

* Not the most imaginative title, but accurate, I think you'll agree.

6 comments:

Sherryl said...

Hmmm, kind of looks like the Virgin Mary in hiding.

Snail said...

I will be most disappointed if it isn't ...

John said...

So do you have the giant glowing inflatable lawn ornaments in your neighborhood?

Snail said...

Although I'm keeping my eyes peeled, I haven't seen them yet, John. I'm sure they're around but not in my neighbourhood, which is overwhelmingly Buddhist. I think I'm going to have to go on a field trip.

Anonymous said...

The Virgin Mary in a fashionable new burkha?

Snail said...

I'm wondering whether it's worth the two hour journey to check on the progress of this scene. Somehow that doesn't sound like a silly idea any more.