Saturday, 6 June 2009

Road Trip, Day 1: Melbourne to Shepparton (Vic)


Okay, so Shepparton is only 180 kms out of Melbourne. But as Lao Tzu said, 'The journey of a thousand miles begins with a two-hour drive up the Goulburn Valley'.

I arrived too late to visit the museum at nearby Tatura. The museum covers two important elements in the region's history: irrigation and WWII internment and prisoner of war camps. I'm not so enthralled by the accounts of water distribution in the Murray – Goulburn area, but I'd like to know the stories of some of those thousands of German, Italian and Japanese internees and PoWs held in Tatura, Rushworth, Murchison and Graytown and of the people who interacted with them.

Next time, perhaps. I'll be a long way up the road by the time the museum opens tomorrow.

3 comments:

Dave Coulter said...

Lao Tzu, eh? I just picked up a new copy of the Tao Te Ching last week - interpreted by Ursula LeGuin, no less! Have fun on your new path :)

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Snail
Trust me, when there is no water left in the Eildon Weir (now at 12% capacity) people will be more interested in water distribution in the Goulburn River.
Victoria's dirty little secret is the North-South Pipeline to take what little is there, to Melbourne.
Bon Voyage.
By the way, I am almost sure I have met the guy "Mahesh" who rang in on your broadcast and asked about snail "sterilisation" in his compost bin. A really well educated Indian musician, living in Sydney. I liked your answer that ducks could "do the killing for him". A nice way around what was clearly an ethical problem for him.
Denis

Bronwen Scott, FCD said...

By Ursula LeGuin --- should be interesting, Dave. I was going to bring a haul of LeGuin books with me in the car, but the over-enthusiastic removallists packed them before I could relocate them.

Denis, I don't think the N-S pipeline is much of a secret anymore. I've been enjoying the rain and puddles here. A temporary condition, I'm sure, but it's so nice to see green.