Tuesday 4 August 2009

Back again

I'm back. Not that I went anywhere. But plenty of things have been keeping me away for the internet, not least of all the dodgy telco service.

Been raining here, of course. You expect that in a rainforest, even in the dry season. Still not enough to bring out the snails, but certainly enough to stir up the leeches. I found one of the little suckers crawling over the kitchen scales. I have no idea why it was there, but that's one of the bonuses hazards completely neutral features of living in the middle of the Wet Tropics.

Saw some oddities today, as I was driving back and forth between the house and the highway trying to find a mobile signal so I could call the telco to tell them my landline wasn't working.

First, a scrubfowl that had wet leaves stuck to its oversized orange feet. When it ran away, it looked as though it was wearing clown shoes.

Second, a pair of spotted catbirds that refused to get off the road as I approached. Eventually, they took off and I discovered the reason for their reluctance. They were feeding on a squashed frog (or toad). One of the pair managed to peel the dead amphibian off the road and flew off, holding it by the head with the hind legs flailing. They were giving the mad whipbirds a run for their money.

I uncovered the reason for the non-functioning phone line: a techie was at the exchange sorting out ADSL for me ... which would be great, if only I had the modem. Still, it's getting closer.