Thursday, 26 January 2012

Pademelon at the pane


Pademelons might not have good eyesight, but there is nothing wrong with their ability to smell. (That is, their facility for detecting scents, not their general ponginess.)

I made a fruit salad from all the items that were about to experience the Instant Rot function on my refrigerator. Before I had even taken the first mouthful, this is what appeared at the living room window. Red probably couldn't see me, but he could certainly pick up the delicious aroma of mango, red pawpaw and bananas.





He eventually gave up when I showed him the empty bowl. If he's lucky, I might throw out the banana skin later this evening. Mind you, it's not as if he's starving. He's a well-padded pademelon.

7 comments:

biobabbler said...

*sigh*

SO CUTE!!!

(nothing witty or wise to say. just SO CUTE!!!! arf. =) oh, and jealous.)

magda and crew in australia said...

Oh my gosh Snail... that really is the cutest set of photos... and the last one... such a huge plea... don't know how you resisted...
but then yes I do... you live amid them...
give in once... and you'll be held in check ever more...
though I think I'll side with Red this time...
just reading the ingredients is enough to have my taste buds tingle with anticipation,
for Red the experience must have created tummy grumbling longing..

I have to admit that I've been roped in by my Locals for daily grain provision.. and my heart does warm when the Swamp Hen who visits me comes to the bottom of the steps, takes in a big breath, leans forward, then lets out a few repeated loud shriek type vocals to let me know there's no grain.
Of course I respond and remedy the situation.

Snail said...

It is almost too cute for words, isn't it? I really like the first one in the sequence, when he's just about to peer over the blockwork. Often I just see a couple of ears go past.

He did get some banana peel much later in the evening. I flung it well away from the house, so he, Pip or any other wandering paddie could snack at leisure.

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Haha! This post totally made my day. Your pademelon is wild and not your pet, no?

Snail said...

It made mine too! Yes, all the paddies are wild. I think I might be their pet, though.

AYDIN Ă–RSTAN said...

Very funny...

Snail said...

And almost irresistible, Aydin! But I managed.