Sunday, 12 January 2014

Potter wasp update


This second wasp nest was in an inconvenient spot, so I removed it. I had thought it abandoned, but there was a single larva inside, dangling from a thread. The larva was alive, but the nest had not been provisioned with food.

View from inside the nest
I wasn't sure what to do. I couldn't stick the nest back on the wall and the the mud was too crumbly to glue to a glass microscope slide, which would have let me watch the wasp's development inside the nest. So all I could think of doing was placing the larvae in another wasp nest. I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not. Perhaps there's a way of making an artificial nest to observe development?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you have put the whole nest in a drinking glass or glass bowl? I suppose there was no way to paralyze a caterpillar for it tho... Cynthia

Snail said...

Feeding it was the problem. If I'd thought about if for a while, I could probably have come up with a solution, but I acted too precipitously!

Anonymous said...

Maybe putting it into a (tea)pot that you could take the lid off?
maybe velcro it to the wall?

Full Of Ideas for Next Time!
jj

Gail Dore said...

Intriguing! I'm wondering if one could pin a caterpillar onto the nest. I mean, literally, with a pin. Would it stay alive long enough for the wasp larvae to feed on it?

Snail said...

I suspect it would, but I think I'd be too squeamish for that!