Sunday 13 April 2008

What I dun on the weekend

I'm writing a detailed proposal for a new postgraduate degree. It's just not a fun way to spend Sunday afternoon. Of course, I have been procrastinating all weekend, so it's my own silly fault that I'm doing it now.

But part of that procrastination involved cutting back the black coral vine (Kennedia nigricans) that was not only cascading over the fence but also running across the laneway to the next house. Had I not done something about it this weekend, it would have formed a barrier across the lane and smothered the neighbours. So I saved their lives instead of working on the new degree. A worthy activity, I think. I might mention it at work tomorrow when someone asks me how far I got with the proposal.

If you're thinking of planting a black coral vine, ask yourself these questions:
  • Do I live on a block half the size of Queensland?
  • Do I enjoy spending my weekends doing nothing but pruning vegetation?
If the answer to either of those is no, then don't plant one. Try one of the other Kennedias. Kennedia retrosa is beautiful, as is the Cape Arid climber K. beckxiana. They are both fast growers but nowhere near as triffidian as their BCV.

See 'em together here.