Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Grand moths

Moths, I've found, are a bit like London buses. They are a standard unit of measurement for dinosaurs and giant squid. None for ages and then they all come along at once. Over the past few days, the windows have been covered with them. Not any old moths, mind you, but with aposematically coloured ones. That is, moths decked out in bright warning coloration that signalled their unpalatability to predators. Sometimes, things are not what they seem and bright colours are a con job pulled by a sheep in wolf's clothing. But I assumed truth in sdvertising with these three and did not bother to work out whether they were full of toxins or just full of bluff.

(And, yes, I do need to clean my windows again. That last one is on the wall. My windows may be dirty, but I can still see through them.)

Paralacydes maculifascia (Arctiidae)


Asota heliconia dama (Aganaidae)


Bracca rotundata (Geometridae)


When I went outside last night to photograph the Bracca, I disturbed a large huntsman spider that had been sitting on the screen door. It ran over my hand. I said something along the lines of 'Oh, goodness! What a big spider', but managed to get a pic of it as it scuttled off into the car port. I didn't measure it accurately, but it was pretty much the same size as my hand. No idea what it's feeding on. Possibly flying foxes and bandicoots.

14 comments:

NanaJude said...

:)
Gosh!
Such self control!

Anonymous said...

I believe you've captured an image of the very spider that may have inspired David Thorne... W.

Snail said...

Those might not have been the exact words, but I surprised myself by not shrieking!

Whale, you're right! I didn't notice it was missing a limb. Hope I didn't do that. :( Still, it was moving pretty damned quickly yesterday, so I don't think it's suffering too much.

Sherrie Y said...

Hmmm. Perhaps 3:00am post-reading-to-induce-sleep is not a wise practice after all, at least not now that I have dead paddies to mourn and Shelob to dodge.

I think I'll meditate on the aesthetics of potentially toxic moths instead. At least those dreams will be colorful.

Snail said...

I'm thinking that it was probably a good idea I released the giant rainforest cricket instead of photographing it ... Still, I've got a carnivorous slug in its place.

Sweet dreams!

John said...

Those moths are really pretty!

Mosura said...

Nearly missed this one. You have some wonderful moths up your way. (You can keep the spiders)

Snail said...

Got a few more pretty moths on the way, but I don't know what they are. I like to put names on them.

Seabrooke said...

Love seeing what all comes to your lights. Some great colours on those guys. Rainforest moths always seem to be so flashy.

Dave Coulter said...

That spider makes life here in the Midwest all the more alluring. Yikes!

Snail said...

Seabrooke, I'm a bit selective about which moth pics I post --- they tend to be biased towards the cuties!

Dave, perhaps I shouldn't mention that huntsmen are often indoor spiders. Several live in this house, where they clear up cockroaches, but they're not that size. I think I'd probably move out if a big one moved in.

beetlesinthebush said...

Woah, I would have never guessed that Bracca was a geometrid!
regards--ted

Sherryl said...

You can absolutely keep that huntsman. On your hand? Oh that creeps me right out.
Give me a friendly (non-venomous) snake any day.

Snail said...

Luckily it was so quick, I didn't have enough time to think about it. I now check the screen door first.