Thursday, 10 May 2012

Snakes on a vertical plane

I got a call yesterday from a friend who is renovating an old Queenslander (house, that is) up the road from me.

'There's a bunch of snakes in the wall. Do you want to take some pics?'

'Why, yes. Yes, I do.'

This was the haul: three snakes and a couple of monitors. You can see the snakes and a bit of one of the monitors in this photo.

Top left: Carpet python
Top right: Small-eyed snake
Middle(ish): Small-eyed snake
Bottom left: Foot of a spotted tree monitor (looks like a spider)


Small-eyed snake

Another small-eyed snake
Carpet python

Close up

I'd like a carpet with a carpet python pattern

Spotted tree monitor (not the one in the first photo)

Spotted, but not up a tree

Even prettier than the carpet python

I'm sure that a few more snakes and lizards will turn up as the renovation proceeds. There's also a rumour of a large amethystine python in the roof. I'll have my camera ready!

14 comments:

Stiletto said...

You are indeed brave to go so near for the clear pics, well, near enough to give one the shivers.

Crash said...

That 1st pic is jaw dropping! ... the rest are great too, but having a record of different species [all food competitive] in such close approximation is just mind blowing, I'm so jealous -

Thanks heaps for the post

Snail said...

Stiletto, it was the middle of the day and they were all fairly sleepy (probably well fed!). I did make sure I could step back out of range if one of them got a bit annoyed.

Snail said...

Crash, everyone was a bit surprised that they were all so close together. That's obviously a good spot to hang out.

Aren't those patterns just fantastic. Even the sheen on the plain-coloured snakes is a joy to look at.

laurak@forestwalkart said...

wow, that's great! what a collection! and they were IN the wall? i mean...the wall board was pulled off and all these critters were there? or did they wander to their cozy spots after the wall came down?
LOVE the patterns on the python and the monitor!!

thanks for heading over there...camera in hand...and documenting it all! i'm looking forward to see what else crept in there.

laurak@forestwalkart said...

oops, had to leave another because i forgot to check the follow up comment box. i got so excited...ALL those cool critters!

Snail said...

Laura, they were living in the wall and were all in place before the panel came off. I got the call pretty much straight away and headed up with camera about 15 mins later. (Giving my friends enough time to brew the coffee...)

neomyrtus said...

All very huggable - lovely herps

biobabbler said...

wow, SUPER cool haul! Most delightful. THANK YOU!! Psyched, as ever, for MORE. =) xo

Snail said...

They're gorgeous, Neo. And I just got a phone call from a friend in Townsville, who now has regular visits from a large carpet python. Obviously, it's still quite warm on the coast.

Snail said...

Biobabbler, that's the most snakes I've seen in one patch of wall. Not that I keep a tally, but I'm sure I'd remember if I'd seen more!

Gouldiae said...

G'day Bronwen,
Could do with some of those in my walls down here at present - patter of little rodent feet as I type this in my detached 'puter room/shed!
Just beautiful!
Gouldiae.

Ladybug said...

Beautiful creatures, all. You're right about the skin patterns - hard to duplicate nature's design.

I'm not familiar with all your reptiles there - are these monitors dangerous?

Snail said...

They are not particularly dangerous, Ladybug, especially the small ones. (These ones don't grow very big.) But the larger species --- e.g. the perentie, which can grow up to 2.5 m long --- are not animals you'd want to annoy. They have long claws, very nasty bites and tails that they are happy to use as a weapon!