Friday 25 September 2015

What I did in the holidays: part 2

So I headed south...

Click to embiggen

Through Cardwell, which was battered by Tropical Cyclone Yasi in 2011. 

One of the best beach views in Queensland

Foreshore replanted with Calophyllum and Crinum

Past the Hinchinbrook Channel

Full of crocodiles

I went into Bowen to take photographs of the murals, which document some of the recent history of the place. (Next time, I'll photograph all of them.)

Goat cart

Primary industry

Close up of above

WWII Catalinas

To Gladstone, where the refinery looks disturbingly like something out of Lord of the Rings. You might remember the National Australia Bank from Return of the King.



And into New South Wales.

The Warrumbungles are coming back from the 2013 bushfires.



Down to Varuna, the Writers' House, at Katoomba in the Blue Mountains.





Where I spent a week with four terrific writers and almost froze to death when I went to take some photos of the scenery.

It's an okay view

Yes, I'm being arty


Then I returned to the Atherton Tablelands, where I am unlikely to freeze to death while taking photos.

Although I might get lost in the fog

And now I have a rather long list of things to do.